Here are some recommendations for preventing chapped lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure.
- Avoid going out in dry, cold weather without putting on lip balm or lipstick.
- Try to keep the air in your home humid.
- Use a sunscreen on your lips when outside in sunny weather.
Here are some recommendations for soothing chapped and sore lips:
- Drink additional fluids in winter months.
- Treat chapped lips with beeswax and petrolatum (Vaseline).
See your health care provider if you have sores that will not heal on your lips.
Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
This information should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. © 1997- 2007 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.