Ill-fitting dentures can move. This may cause sore spots. Denture adhesive may help cut down on this movement. Dental implants may be recommended in most cases. Implants help stabilize the denture, minimize their movement and prevent sores. They should only be placed by a well-trained dental specialist.
See a dentist if your dentures do not fit correctly. They may need to be adjusted or relined.
Other denture tips:
- Scrub your dentures with plain soap and lukewarm water after eating. DO NOT clean them with toothpaste.
- Take out your dentures overnight to prevent sores, infections, and inflammation.
- Keep your dentures in a denture cleaner overnight.
- Clean, rest, and massage your gums regularly. Rinse daily with lukewarm salt water to help clean your gums.
- DO NOT use toothpicks when wearing dentures.
Ilona Fotek, DMD, MS, Dental Healing Arts, Jupiter, FL. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
This information should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. © 1997- 2007 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.