A refrigerant is a chemical that makes things cold. This article discusses poisoning from sniffing or swallowing such chemicals.
The most common poisoning occurs when people intentionally sniff a type of refrigerant called Freon.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
The poisonous ingredient includes fluorinated hydrocarbons.
The poisonous ingredients may be found in:
This list may not be all-inclusive.
EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT
STOMACH AND INTESTINES
HEART AND BLOOD
Most symptoms result from breathing in the substance.
Seek emergency medical care right away. Move the person to fresh air. Be careful to avoid being overcome with the fumes while helping someone else.
Contact poison control for further information.
Determine the following information:
Your local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The person may receive:
How well a person does depends on the severity of the poisoning and how quickly medical help was received.
Severe lung damage may occur. Survival past 72 hours usually means the person will have a complete recovery.
Sniffing Freon is extremely dangerous and can lead to long-term brain damage and sudden death.
Reviewed By: Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.