This article describes the effects of a bite from the funnel-web spider. Male funnel-web spider bites are more toxic than bites by females. The class of insects to which the funnel-web spider belongs, contains the largest number of venomous species known.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage a bite from this type of spider. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
The venom in the funnel-web spider contains the toxin.
Specific types of funnel-web spiders are found in southeast Australia, around Sydney. Others are found in Europe, New Zealand and Chile. They are not native to the United States, although some people may keep them as exotic pets. The webs that are built by this group of spiders consist of funnel-shaped tubes that extend into a protected space such as a hole in a tree or a burrow in the ground.
Funnel-web spider bites are very painful and dangerous. They have been known to cause these symptoms in different parts of the body:
EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT
HEART AND BLOOD
MUSCLES AND JOINTS
STOMACH AND INTESTINES
Funnel-web spider bites are very toxic. Seek medical help right away. Call the Poison Control Center or 911 for guidance.
Immediate treatment a bite consists of the following 4 steps, which are modeled after the Australian snake bite treatment and consists of four steps:
Have this information ready:
Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The wound will be treated as appropriate.
The person may receive:
Funnel-web spider bites can be life threatening, especially in children. They must be treated quickly with antivenin by an experienced provider. Even with appropriate and quick treatment, symptoms may last for several days to weeks. The original bite may be small and may progress to a blood blister and look like a bull's eye. (This is similar to the appearance of a brown recluse spider bite.)
The area affected by the bite may become deeper. Additional symptoms such as fever, chills, and other signs of additional organ system involvement may develop. Deep scarring may occur and surgery may be needed to improve appearance of the scar.
Reviewed By: Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Emeritus, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.