Sports cream overdose

Definition

Sports creams are creams or ointments used to treat aches and pains. Sports cream overdose can occur if someone uses this product on open skin (such as an open sore or wound), or swallows or gets the product in their eyes. This can be by accident or on purpose.

When used on healthy skin, overdose is not likely. But a person can have an allergic reaction to the cream or ointment.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual overdose. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual overdose. If you or someone you are with overdoses, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Poisonous Ingredient

Two ingredients in sports creams that can be poisonous are:

Where Found

Methyl salicylates and menthol are found in many over-the-counter pain-relieving creams.

Symptoms

Below are symptoms of sports cream overdose in different parts of the body.

AIRWAYS AND LUNGS

EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT

KIDNEYS

NERVOUS SYSTEM

OTHER (FROM EATING THE POISON)

SKIN

STOMACH AND INTESTINES

Home Care

If the cream was swallowed or placed in the eyes, seek medical treatment right away. Flush the eyes with water and remove any cream that remains on the skin. DO NOT make the person throw up unless poison control or a health care provider tells you to.

Before Calling Emergency

Have this information ready:

Poison Control

Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated. The person may receive:

If the poisoning occurred through skin exposure, the person may receive:

If the poisoning occurred through eye exposure, the person may receive:

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well a person does depends on the amount of poison in the body and how quickly the treatment was received. The faster a person gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery. Recovery is likely if the effects can be reversed.


Review Date: 7/2/2017
Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, Attending Physician at FDR Medical Services/Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Buffalo, NY. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.

This information should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. © 1997- 2007 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.